With generous support from the Teagle Foundation and the Lilly Endowment Inc., the Center of Inquiry collaborates with faculty and staff at colleges and universities to build and strengthen the capacity of assessment programs to gather and use evidence to improve student learning.
Our Assessment Team and Activities
The Center of Inquiry’s assessment support is led by Kathy Wise, Charles Blaich, and the Teagle Assessment Scholars. The scholars are a group of faculty, deans, researchers, and administrators with diverse assessment experiences. Together, we provide a wide range of support including:
- Helping institutions use assessment evidence they already have, including data from the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), the Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA), Cooperative Institutional Research Program (CIRP) surveys, senior exit interviews, or capstone projects
- Working with faculty and staff to develop and use different kinds of assessment evidence to improve student learning
- Reviewing programs and institutional research offices
- Helping institutions prepare for accreditation
- Developing formative assessment plans for strategic, curricular, and program planning
Depending on what is most helpful for your institution, we can provide speakers and site visit teams, host retreats and workshops on assessment, and discuss ideas in person or over the phone. The costs for these services vary, but the following is a general guide:
- Site visits – Institutions cover the costs of stipends ($500 per Teagle Scholar per visit), travel, food, and lodging costs.
- Center sponsored meetings at Wabash College – Institutions cover the costs of travel and lodging for the meeting.
- Meetings at Wabash College sponsored by other institutions or organizations – the sponsoring institution or organization covers the costs of travel, lodging, and food for meeting participants, as well as stipends ($500 per Teagle Assessment Scholar) and travel costs for Teagle Assessment Scholars.
We are glad to take an institution's financial circumstances into account in setting costs for our work.
If you wish to find out more about our assessment support, please send an email to Charles Blaich.